Monday, March 8, 2010

UVM Men in Finals Too--Play BU at Home

Thou shalt not pass! or shoot! (Burlington Free Press photo)
After playing another ugly basketball game with the University of New Hampshire (final score 57-38), the Vermont men will play in the America East finals against #4 seed Boston University. UVM has beat BU twice already this season--hopefully they have that third win in them.

With the story in the Freeps was reader comments on going to the NCAA tournament. One comment did not think going to the Big Dance was that much of a Big Deal, to get bounced out by some basketball power (Oh, not KU again) in the first round. One writer proposed that the National Invitational Tournament would be a better choice for midmajors like UVM.

Very interesting conversation--however, I think if you were to ask the players, they would rather win a conference championship and go to the NCAAs. If I were in their shoes that is what I would say--to be a winner in your neighborhood, and then go and play in the tourney that features other conference winners and the best of the best? Even if I was UVM, and I checked my bracket and found Duke, Kansas State, Kansas or Syracuse there, I would still say, "This is the place to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment